Friday, June 29, 2012

Swimming in Cloth

Believe it or not, two days ago was the first time I used a cloth diaper in the water!  When I started CD-ing my daughter, she was already 20 months old and it was the beginning of fall.  Shortly after she turned 2, we started the potty training process.  Also, shortly after she turned 2, my son was born and we didn't spend a lot of time in the pool/ocean that summer.  So last summer didn't lend itself to many opportunities to use a swim diaper at all. However, since we're just beginning this summer and R is far from potty training, I am sure the opportunities will be plentiful!

Cloth swim diapers from Mother Ease
I should start out by saying that I know they make cloth/reusable swim diapers, but I haven't purchased any.  Since I'm not sure if there will be a baby #3 or not, I'm not willing to invest the money in them since I know that regular cloth diapers can be used as well.  Really, we'd only be using it this summer and next summer (assuming that R is potty trained by age 3).

BumGenius AIO by CottonBabies
So the first time he went in the water, I used a BumGenius AIO and didn't use any additional inserts as I normally do.  Everything was fine, but I noticed that when I went to change the diaper his poor baby butt was wrinkly!  AIO's absorb too much for use in the water.  It wasn't the end of the world, and there was no risk of an exploding diaper as there are with regular disposables, but lesson learned, don't use AIO's in the water!

BumGenius 4.0 by CottonBabies
Day 2, I decided to use a BumGenius 4.0 with only the newborn insert.  I thought about using no insert at all, but I was a little skeptical since there would be absolutely nothing to absorb in case he were to pee outside of the pool.  This went better than the AIO, but he was still a little water-logged at the end of the day.  Again, nothing that some airing out can't fix, but I'd prefer not to let him get and stay so soaked.

SoftBums Omni
So next time I will give the 4.0's another try but without any insert or maybe a SoftBums without an insert.  I'll just have to use the same caution as with disposable swim diapers - put them on right before getting in the water & take them off shortly afterwords to avoid risk of leakage.  I was hoping to be able to avoid that with the cloth, but oh well.  Either way, I see no need to ever use a disposable swim diaper again!

What are your favorite cloth diapers to use as swim diapers?  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment