Thursday, November 17, 2011

Catch It With Cloth

Everyone who has kids in diapers knows about the dreaded poop explosions. This is when that wonderful breastfed baby poop seems to go everywhere but inside the diaper. It happened constantly with my daughter, K, when she was an infant, and it's one of the reasons I wanted to give cloth a try. I had heard good things about a cloth diaper's ability to keep the mess in place, but we didn't start using cloth until K was over a year old. So when my son, R, was born I was anxious to see how the cloth diapers compared to the disposables.

For the first few months we were absolutely fine. No leakage from either the disposables or the cloth (we still use disposables at night or if we are going on an overnight trip). Then about 2 weeks ago we had our first spillage incident. It was with a disposable diaper. We continued to have leakage with the disposables, yet absolutely no problems with the cloth.
I think that it has to do with the material of the diapers themselves. With the disposables, I noticed that when I would go to change R if there was a large quantity, it would still be sloshing around in the diaper when I opened it - even after allowing a few minutes to settle. In some cases, this actually led to a mess all over the changing table even if there was no actual diaper leak. The second I laid him down it would spill out the top back of the diaper. However, with the cloth diapers, even if I change him directly after the explosion, everything has already been absorbed into the diaper! No leaks out the top, no leaks at all!
Like I said, it's only been about 2 weeks that the leaks have been happening at all, so I realize that anything can still happen. But for comparison, just about every poop in a disposable lately has lead to some sort of mess outside of the diaper. We have had no such incident with the cloth. So for those of you still on the fence about switching to cloth, here's yet another reasn to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment