Friday, December 3, 2010

Diaper Sprayers - Adventures In Plumbing

I was so ecstatic that our diaper sprayer came in on Wednesday that I rushed to install it right away! It seemed simple enough - Just turn off the water, disconnect the hose from the base of the tank & attach the sprayer between the tank & the hose. Piece of cake, right? Well, it would have been had we a "normal" house...

Those of you who know me know that we bought the house from hell in 2007. It's a real money pit & everything that had even a slight possibility of going wrong did. Including our plumbing. Not only was everything renovated poorly, but I don't think the house itself was ever constructed correctly to begin with. Almost everything that should have been an "easy fix" went horribly wrong because something wasn't the way it should have been or it wasn't the industry standard, so many things had to be customized. So why would our toilet's plumbing be any different?! Well, we already knew that when we tried to replace the toilet & had difficulties! But I thought the exterior plumbing on it was pretty standard! Turns out it's not.

Under the info. for the sprayer, all it says you need is a flexi-hose connecting from the wall to your toilet tank. Well, we have that, so I thought we were good to go. Alas, no. When I tried to connect the sprayer to the tank, I soon realized that there was not enough room between the toilet tank & the turn-off valve for the sprayer to fit in-between them!

(For those of you who still can't figure out what I'm talking about, here is a diagram of what it is "supposed to" look like after being attached.)

My toilet tank is too close to the stop valve & there is not enough room to fit the hook-up for the sprayer.

Needless to say, I was devastated! I was SOOO looking forward to this diaper sprayer for quite a bit of time now! I was counting down the days until we could afford to buy it, and then I was counting down the days until it arrived! I was crushed & couldn't think about not being able to use it as a possibility! There HAD to be another way around this...So now, what to do?

Luckily, my Father-In-Law is pretty handy when it comes to plumbing & is willing to come take a look at everything. I'm hoping that we can just fit some kind of extender on the stop valve to make room for the sprayer. But he can't make it here until next week sometime, so I have to make it another weekend rinsing poop the old-fashioned way. Ugh!!

Did any of you have a similar issue with your diaper sprayer? What did you do to work around it?

No comments:

Post a Comment